I was going through the painstaking reading of an article on non-violence yesterday morning, when I suddenly came across the reality of our situation. First of all I am definitely not a non-violence supporter, and I admit that my view of the solution for the "Lebanese situation" is to have a bomb dropped over the "Saraya" and the "Nejme" square, that could save us the misery of having such a government and a house of speakers..
Yes, we voted for those speakers and those speakers voted for that government.. We live in a haven of democracy.. It is true.. But there is something missing, and without it the thousands-of-years-old most wonderful greek political order cannot survive.
What are we missing here? Justice, equality, respect for human rights, freedom.
1- Justice:
Taken for granted that democracy is the rule of the majority, it thereby follows not only the majority's views on who should be representing the people, but also their standards of the good and bad, qualified and non qualified, powerful and weak, down to the way they eat and dress and the music they listen to. As you know, even Haifa Wehbe draws her popularity from the authority of the democratically designated majority! Consequently, if the majority says someone is innocent, then he is. If they say he is guilty, then how is he not, for God's sake?!
2- Equality:
When I am 20 years and 11 months old, my judgement is faulty. But at the age of 21 I am capable of making my own decision.. If I am a Sunni,a Shiite, a Cathlolic or a Budhist, I cannot be president. I don't want to be a president! But can I get a job in a company owned by a Maronite?? Guys, Wallah I am good at what I do!
3- Respect for human rights:
I, as a human being, have the right to live as a human being, drink clean water and have a hot bath once in a while. If water ever reaches my tap in Wadi Khaled I have no electricity to turn on the heater, because the man I voted for to become my representative at the House of Speakers is more human than me and, therefore, deserves his share and mine of the "Electricite du Liban" services. I as a human being have the right to know who killed my grandfather, but since Rafiq Al Hariri has billions of dollars and Abou Nizar was just a poor defiant man, the Hariri clan has more right to know the truth than the Mrouweh clan.
4- Freedom:
I am free to live. I am free to study. I am free to work. I am free to dance. I am free to sing. I am free to love and hate. But I don't have the money to afford it all.. Therefore I am selling my valuable freedom to get the money.. Don't get me wrong.. I sold it out of my own freedom!
Subtitle: Freedom of Speech:
.................
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment