I used to keep wondering, what happens to the people we know and cease to know.. Like childhood friends in one of the many schools I have been to, or like the grocery man in our old neighborhood, 15 years ago.. Or the boy I had a crush on when I was 8!!
Do they die? Get married.. Study nuclear science or simply become singers with videoclips all over the place, or migrate to the same Gulf country as me and work for the same client as mine!!
How do they look? Are they still the same? taller? fatter? Or beautiful childhood turned to a not-quite-so-attractive manhood and not so bright either!!
What is the chance that after 17 years, out of the blurry images of childhood and the undefined features of memory, a name on a business card handed to me by the man sitting just next to me at the meeting table, turns out familiar, painfully familiar... I shook with excitement and smiled knowingly at my destiny (whatever that is).. I stared hard to get a hint of an old face.. Surprisingly, I recognised the handwriting!! He looked down into his notebook and I saw it.. The glimpse of a green-eyed tanned boy, the same thick smart eye-brows (that is an outer appearance) and the same fat lips.. It was definitely him!!
I did not need to ask, but the question was meant to identify me.. Were you in the Evangelical School of Tripoli? He faked a start, as if he knew but preferred to ignore the something he stared at and recognised when he first entered the room.
Now..I wonder, what were the chances of me looking at that boy 17 years ago and knowing that I would meet him again one more time in a place other than that school on Zahriah Street, him working in a profession called "media buying" and me in some alien job called public relations? What were the chances of me knowing at the age of 8 that my life would twist and turn, growing me from a shy stranger child in a strange city called Tripoli, to a fierce stranger woman in an even stranger city called Dubai, the same people then and now..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment