Here she stopped for puff, and I popped the question. What did the terrorist look like?
Why, of course a beard, she said. You know those dirty looking people from the dirtiest spots on earth? Those are what we need.
My friend Joseph's passport photo, I remembered, looked like that of a terrorist. Again, beard..
Then she said: "We also needed a suicide bomber, and we got someone who looked like a refugee."
Here, imagination! What does a refugee look like?
I thought a labourer from any camp around Dubai could fit the profile. A refugee is generally dark with bones sticking out and a very miserable look.
Stereotypes!
I guess in some way media, the digital age, global village, whatever.. It is like a reduced quality photo. Takes out the good pixels and distorts the fine lines of a good image. It is more like a low resolution mobile camera age.
No comments:
Post a Comment